Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thursday In-Class Writing Exercise

As you know, tonight's class is almost entirely independent work.  With that in mind, I would like to use the blog to touch base with everyone before the weekend starts.

By 9 am tomorrow (Friday) morning, please post the following in the comments section here:

1.  On a scale of 1-10, how far along are you on your rough draft?  What do you have left to do?

2.  Write a rough draft of your first paragraph (!) for the paper.


23 comments:

  1. Janai Harris

    1. Probably about a 7... i need to mold together what I have worked on in our smaller assignments, edit it to make it flow, and introduce a new argument that I would like to explore.

    2. Through film and music, Black Nationalism has been presented as a critique to many social and political issues, which began in the 1970’s and continues to be presented in media today. Black Nationalism, the re-appropriating of Black identity as something powerful and positive that promotes self-determination, independent of the institution of whiteness, stems from the many influential figures of the Black Power and Black Panther movements. Focusing on the work of African-American filmmaker Spike Lee and hip-hop group Public Enemy, this paper will explore how their contribution to media was influenced by and exhibits Black Nationalism as a platform for social and political action. It is important to discuss the incorporation of Black Nationalism their works encompass due to the silence of Black Power after the assassination of Malcolm X in 1965 and again after the end of the Black Panther party in the early 80’s. The revival of Black Nationalism through the platform of hip-hop transformed the way young communities viewed social issues and spoke out against them. Critical films, like the works of Spike Lee, call attention to political injustices and racism, generating visibility and critiques that would not have been presented without his movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly Rose Morrissey

    1) Probably a 5. I have all my background research done and a full outline prepared. I just need to keep on writing.

    2) Andy Warhol first stepped onto the New York art scene in the early 1960’s. Gaining notoriety for his pop art paintings, Warhol quickly rose to the top, offering America a new kind of art—a kind of art that spoke on American culture and values, a kind of art that framed soup cans. His art reflected upon staples of American culture, no longer just a soup can, but suddenly a piece of art. Unlike most abstract artists at the time, Warhol’s art simply “mirror[ed] back to [his viewers] what was right on the surface of the world around us” and further, left room for the viewer to reflect on the very elements that made up their own culture (Miller, 81).
    While his art brought him onto the scene, it is ultimately Warhol’s persona that remains central to his legacy. Warhol created an unreachable glamour about him, never meeting the public eye without his dark glasses, wig, and black leather jacket. An empire soon was cultivated with Warhol at the center of it, manufacturing glamour and the modern day celebrity. While focusing on fame and the superficial, he was also asking America to see beyond the wig and the icon. He was meditating on something greater than nights at Studio 54 in New York City, he was asking his viewer to see the reality of America. Andy Warhol used art, film, and celebrity culture to reflect and comment on American ambiguity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean Cheng

    1. I have enough sources and a solid thesis but I haven't actually written anything except for the introduction. So on a scale of 1-10, I'm at 1.

    2. The name Sinatra conjures up both good and bad impressions: the popular singer who befriended former President John F. Kennedy and fought for civil rights is also the womanizer who apparently “[ate] ham and eggs from a prostitute’s chest” (Adamowski). The celebrity’s public image, though unfavorable at times, allowed Sinatra to establish himself in the history of entertainment. More specifically, Frank Sinatra’s embodiment of masculinity and individuality, as well as his unfaltering devotion to his beliefs, contributes to his legacy as an American cultural icon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I would say a 1 or 2. I think i have enough research to write my paper, just finished my introduction (still needs a bit more work though), however i feel confident about writing this paper.

    2.Allen Ginsberg started his infamous life as a revolutionary and poet of the Beat Generation, when he began attending Colombia University. While at Colombia Ginsberg met friend and mentor Jack Kerouac whom he would later join to form the School of Disembodied Poets. During his education at Colombia University Ginsberg started his highly political and opinionated poems, which would become his signature for the Beat Generation. Allen Ginsberg's poetry became the basis of protest in the 1960s; due to this strong political presence, the "Father of the Beat Generation" was the embodiment of nonconformity, individualism and personal freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica O'Day

    1) I'm probably at a 3. I have all of my research done and I have the structure of the paper prepared. However, I haven't actually started much of the writing.

    2) In the early 1960s, there were no real careers in tennis for women. Tennis was an amateur sport, and there was no official prize money. The only money to be made was a few hundred dollars under the table for showing up at a tournament (Drucker 6). When the Open Era began in 1968, tennis turned professional and players were allowed to compete for prize money. However, all the tournaments were either run or owned by men. Many of them believed that nobody cared about women’s tennis, so they would often drop the women’s events. If they did have the women’s events, the prize money for the females was dramatically unequal to that awarded to the males. The men often earned between eight to twelve times more than the women did. King was angered by this injustice, and she began to campaign for equal prize money for males and females (Spencer 366-367).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm probably a 6. I have majority of my sources but im not sure how to form solid paragraphs yet.


    As an English director Hitchcock’s films explored beyond thrill and into the world of psychology. Born in London on August 13th 1899, English director Alfred Hitchcock was raised in a Catholic household. He originally studied engineering at the University of London, but switched his interest to film in 1920. He moved to the Hollywood and produced numerous films of which some popular ones are The Birds and Psycho (“Alfred Hitchcock”). When directing his films, Hitchcock paid attention to every single detail; right down to the exact shade of blonde of his actresses hair color (Starr). His works center around three themes- “the innocent man who is mistakenly suspected or accused of a crime,” “the guilty woman who enmeshes a male protagonist and ends up either destroying him or being saved by him,” and “ the murderer whose identity is established during the working out of the plot” (“Alfred Hitchcock”). The importance of these themes ties into the psychological and emotional analyses that critics have developed based on the plots of his films.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jason Elperin

    1)I would give myself a 4. All my research and outlining is complete I just have to use it to form an essay.

    2) Jackie Robinson pioneered the integration of blacks and whites into baseball and participated in the Civil Rights Movement by remaining calm when fans and opposing team members would yell racial remarks at him among other things. During Robinson’s early year’s he was a strong minded person who always wanted equality for others. He had run in’s as a kid with the law. For example Robinson was asked to move to the back of the bus because of his color but he refused. After playing many sports in college, one of which was baseball, Branch Rickey, dodger manager, hired Robinson to play major league baseball. This key decision by Rickey is what led Robinson to break the racial barrier and set an example for blacks and whites to play sports together. In Robinson’s later years he continued his fight for civil rights outside baseball, through his involvement in organizations and use of his fame to fight racism.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1) 8. I haven't started the paper at all, but I have a vision of the final product and a variety of useful sources. Execution and editing account for the last two points, which will admittedly be difficult, but I'd like to think that I've fought most of the battle.

    2) This is the last paragraph of one body section. The section started off as a single paragraph but turned into 1.5 pages. It was supposed to be the shortest section of the paper. At this rate, my paper is going to be a monstrosity. I may have to be more concise or simply slash a few parts.

    At the same time, the violence is highly symbolic when viewed in different realms, such as ecocide and apocalypse. The brutal serial killing of women is analogous to the ruthless destruction of the Earth, an entity typically personified as female (Caputi 104). In this metaphor, the weapons and devices used for killing and torture represent industrialism and manmade technologies that harm nature via deforestation, pollution, and the eradication of endangered species (Caputi 104). In the beginning of her ecocide section, Caputi starts with an excerpt from American Psycho including “grab at the veins lodged there… I loosen them with my fingers… when I’ve gotten a good grip on them violently yank them out” (104). She then strategically places a section of Stephen Pyne’s review of Trees of Life that describes “an earth skinned alive, its lungs ripped out” (104). By juxtaposing these examples, Caputi implies that there is more to the violence that its surface value. A comparison to apocalypse is also made. By using certain words associated with destruction and conjuring imagery of the world’s end, Ellis is showing that the immortalization of serial killers and the glorification of feminine assault will lead to the eventual ruin of the culture that allowed it (Caputi 107). While Caputi denounces the novel as a symbolic weapon against women, she acknowledges that deeper levels of symbolism, such as ecocide and apocalypse, cannot be ignored.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kris Lai "with a K"

    (1) The answer would be about a 3. Just because there are in fact many films he created, yet I think the 3-4 films that I want to write about are not enough to fill the paper. And on the other hand, my outline is not as crisply written out as I thought it would be, but I feel I can start on the first two pages smoothly.

    (2) Steven Spielberg is a humble man known for his creativity in the world of science fiction. His love for film-making grew from his childhood memories and the relationships he bonded between his parents. The ability to move audiences to tears is Spielberg's specialty to feel the environment come to life. Despite his rivalry against the critics’ harsh remarks and controversial background, Spielberg simply puts film-making on another level. The power of moving pictures has made audiences cry, laugh, and cheer for their fearless heroes who are mainly just children. Spielberg’s capability to mirror the mind of a child easily appeals audiences worldwide due to his experiences during his childhood. As a result, Spielberg continues to astound his audiences around the world as his films evoke emotions through speculative music and imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1) I would say I'm at a 3 since I've been working on different intros to use along with having the core outline figured out. I just need to choose which sources will i actually use from all the ones I've gather. After that it'll just be correcting and editing.

    2)In the film industry, directors usually follow similar styles of another director(s) they have been influenced by. However, director Quentin Tarantino has made his own style which became a framework that others began to experiment with. Tarantino’s directing style changed pop culture with his use of violence in film, from psychological, religious and humor standpoints. Tarantino style of interpretations within his scenes of violence gave audience a different focus which ultimately changed their viewpoint about the violent nature. Religious themes and even a sense of humor which Tarantino utilizes, offers a new sort of dimension to be explored within the situation rather than defining it as purely a violent act.

    ReplyDelete
  15. On a scale of 1-10, I would say that I am at a 4.5 or so. I currently have a really strong outline that just needs to be fleshed out with details, but my research is done.

    The premiere of Sesame Street marked the beginning of an experiment in new forms of education. The program taught general educational skills, but also acknowledged the diverse viewership of the show. In later years, Sesame Street also addressed the emotional needs of children. Through the development of curriculum and dissemination of the information through television, Sesame Street has responded to the need for various forms of education for their child viewership.

    ReplyDelete
  16. On a scale of 1-10, I am at a 3. I have all my research done, and an outline completed. I just need to keep writing!


    WWII was over. The United States emerged as victorious; they were unstoppable. Americans were strong, proud, honest, hardworking individuals living the luxurious American dream. With tall muscular fathers, and stay at home mothers who made cookies, American children led perfect lives. Yet underneath this mask of perfection was a stirring mass paranoia. There was a new evil, an evil that was not dressed as a soldier, but disguised, and it was spreading across the United States: it was communism. Communism became the term used to describe anti-conformists with controversial ideals. It was against this backdrop that the world-known poet, Allen Ginsberg, read his controversial poem, “Howl” in 1955 at the Six Gallery in San Francisco. Despite the current risk, Allen Ginsberg utilized his freedom protected by the First Amendment. As embodied in his poetry, Allen Ginsberg advocates cultural innovations and serves as a catalyst for political reform.

    ReplyDelete
  17. On a scale of 1-10, I am currently at a 4. I have my thesis statement concise and ready all my research is completed I am now at the begining stages of putting everything together and composing the bulk of my essay. From here I need to sit down with a large amount of allotted time to simply write.

    Bennet Cerf once said, " A person who can bring the spirit of laughter into a room is truely blessed". Ellen DeGeneres is a world famous female comedian who’s ever popular shows The Ellen Show has millions of viewers. Ellen DeGeneres was born in 1958 in New Orleans. When Ellen DeGeneres begun doing standup comedy she finally got recognition for her humor and knack of getting an audience to laugh. Ellen had a hit with the audience. She performed in her ABC show Ellen and would occasionally do guest appearances for the Oprah Winfrey Show, The tonight show and The Letterman show. Ellen had a knack at pocking fun at various issues, debates, problems that seemed too vulnerable of a subject and instead made it into a humorous one. She aided in letting America let go and laugh a little, by not taking everything so seriously. Ellen was effective at creating a humorous viewpoint for society to see.
    In 1997 DeGeneres came out to the public acklodging her homosexuality. Through Ellen DeGeneres “coming out” on national television to the wide public, she not only accepted her own sexuality but also inspired others to do the same. DeGeneres has served as a poster child for the coming out process and served as an active member in the gay community, lending support and helping to stop homophobia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cat Pohlman



    Currently, I would say I am at a 4 in completing the rough draft. Typing up one paragraph helped me realize how much work I need to do still. While I have a great amount of research done and great quality sources, I keep realizing how much more research I can do. This seems like a never ending project. However, I have the general ideas of what I want to say, so now i just have to write.


    Sometimes the most inspiring people never intended for their actions to bring about great change. They simply happened to be around in the right place at the right time. Ellen DeGeneres dropped out of college and held various temporary employment positions before stumbling upon what would eventually become a comedy career. She began performing for her friends, then at local comedy clubs, and after winning a competition on Showtime, Ellen received wide-spread recognition (Ellen DeGeneres Biography). Ellen did not grow up dreaming of becoming a stand-up comedian nor did she ever expect to achieve the hallmark moments in comedy history that eventually occurred, such as being the first female comedian to be asked to sit on Johnny Carson’s couch (Ellen DeGeneres Biography). Ellen just wanted to make people laugh, and she happened to be good enough to create an entire career around this seemingly natural gift. At a young age, she was already proving her gift had more substance than others’ ability to make a few friends chuckle during lunchtime. Ellen’s parents divorced when she was thirteen years old, and when her mother would be about to sink into depression, Ellen would be right there poking fun until her mother was doubled over in hysterics (Ellen DeGeneres Biography). She had the ability to help others just by being herself. During her professional life, the decisions she made which best represented her natural identity and personal character were the decisions that resulted in the greatest impact.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1.) Right now I'm about a 2. I finished the first paragraph, an outline and all of my research. Now all I need to do is write.

    2.)The arena is Boston, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, January 12, 1965. Beat author William Burroughs and publisher Grove Press face charges of violating Massachusetts obscenity law and the distribution of obscene material in result of the publication Burroughs’ novel Naked Lunch. After extensive testimony, including an interpretation of the novel by beat contemporary Allen Ginsberg, the supreme court decides to overturn the charges. Since this decision, no other novel has stood trial in the United States. The Massachusetts Supreme Court decision was the the result of a change in American culture’s idea of decency and marked a radical shift in literary censorship practices.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The term “pop culture” is often viewed with a negative connotation due to its tendencies to intentionally “dumb-down” information to connect with the general public. Despite having received criticisms from scholars, pop cultural growth has begun to influence politics in America. Pop star icons began to emerge through consensual acceptance of mainstream America. Their works contain certain types of credibility perceived by their fans, and they used that power to arouse the public by sending messages through their particular area of expertise in pop culture.

    I would grade my self at about a 2 in completion because all I have is a draft of the introduction and a very rough outline.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Linda Huynh

    1. On a scale of 1-10, I am probably at a 3. I have all the sources I need and the only thing left to do is writing the paper.

    Intro (Rough Draft):
    A great artist once said, "They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." (Warhol) To prove such point, artist Andy Warhol generated a new visual art movement called pop art. He made many achievements such as designing varies artworks from silk-screening prints of Marilyn Monroe to filming screen testes of both famous and anonymous individuals. Most of his creations derive from his glamorous character and the environment he lives in as a celebrity icon. Although such successful artist captures the social attention, the purpose of his artwork is to give a different perspective of art. Warhol reveals a double standard of what is desirable or the norm to the public versus the ugly truth of the American culture. Despite his death in 1987, Warhol's contribution is still recognized today and being used in different study fields.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1) I would rate myself a 2, because I have two things done, the research and the outline. I will continue working this weekend to get the rough draft done (cross fingers!)

    2) Martha Graham awed everyone in the 1930s and 1940s with her innovative dancing. She is often called the Picasso of the dance world. Graham had revolutionized modern dance and created her own techniques and movements, but little did she know that she had established so much more with her dancing. Due to Martha Graham’s successful dance career, her actions off stage has changed the view of females in American society; thus, brought upon a new meaning of female empowerment.

    ReplyDelete